The importance of brushing teeth for kids cannot be understated.
Plaque and bacteria buildup can quickly cause cavities, tooth decay, and gum issues so proper oral care like brushing daily is essential for protecting your child’s teeth and gums.
Brushing teeth for kids needs to be a daily routine, one that soon becomes second nature. So, it is imperative that your child learns to brush their teeth properly.
Brushing Teeth for Kids – Suggestions for Parents
Here are some suggestions to start your child on the right track for lifelong healthy teeth brushing:
- Start early so your child will understand that brushing is part of their daily routine.
- Only use soft-bristle toothbrushes (not medium or hard-bristle brushes).
- Make sure the toothbrush isn’t too large for your child’s teeth.
- Replace your child’s toothbrush every 3-4 months.
- Always use fluoride toothpaste once your child is old enough to brush.
- Don’t use too much toothpaste (the size of a pea is all you need for thorough cleaning).
Teaching Your Child Healthy Brushing Habits
Kids learn by example, so we highly recommend that parents also adhere to the following:
- Teach your child to brush gently (hard brushing can cause damage, tooth sensitivity, and gum recession).
- Teach your child that brushing teeth for kids and adults should take at least 2 minutes.
- Teach your child to brush at least 2-3 times a day (after every meal and before bed).
- Teach them to also brush their tongue, which helps to kill bacteria in the mouth.
- Teach them to store their toothbrush upright and let it air dry.
- Teach them to not share their toothbrush or use anyone else’s toothbrushes.
- Teach your child to floss their teeth at least once a day.
- Teach your child that an annual visit to the dentist is also part of the routine.
Brushing teeth. For kids, this isn’t always their favourite thing to do but when you make it part of their daily routine it can mean the difference between poor dental hygiene and lifelong dental health.
About Simcoe Kids Dental
Our Simcoe kid’s dentists are passionate about teaching children good dental hygiene early. We also want your child to have a positive experience and a happy visit every time they come to see the dentist.
That’s why we’ve created a safe and fun environment for children. Our resident kid’s dentist is also highly trained and an expert at alleviating a child’s anxiety and fear.
You can also call our Simcoe Kids Dental clinic at 705-727-5705.